Bridges shot down by Hythe firepower

Three Bridges v Whyteleafe. 27-02-16. Pic Steve Robards  SR1606785 SUS-160229-165007001
Three Bridges v Whyteleafe. 27-02-16. Pic Steve Robards SR1606785 SUS-160229-165007001

Frustrated Bridges suffered 1-0 defeat at Hythe courtesy of an early first half goal.

The game was played under the sound of continuous gunfire from the adjacent Army base and the result of the game was settled by an cracking long curling shot which deceived Bridges goalkeeper Kieron Thorp.

Both Callum Donaghey and Hakeem Adelakun had chances for Bridges while at the other end, Nigel Brake was leading the defence to keep Hythe under control.

However on 18 minutes, a long curling shot from Frankie Sawyer deceived the visitors’ defence as the ball sailed into the top left hand corner of the goal.

Hythe now pressed harder but a goalline headed clearance by Drew Cooney saved the day as Bridges were urged to raise their game.

Adelakun had a shot deflected for a corner which was taken by Steve Sargent and led to the goalkeeper Joe Mant heading off his own goalline.

Players from both sides started arguing about using long-ball tactics which led to frustration as the first half ended.

The second half started with Thorp saving a shot from Jack Harris with his feet and then a shot from Alfie May with his head.

At the other end, Sam MacVicar had two good chances to level the score as did Adelakun as Bridges began to play better.

Matt Whitehead was again running fast down the left wing and providing good crosses to Mark Pulling and Jamie Brotherton, all with no result.

The game carried on with both teams looking for the next goal, either to consolidate a win or to force a draw.

Hythe ended up as the winners in a game which had no real entertainment for players or spectators.

Bridges: Thorp, Lansdale, Whitehead, Sargent, Brake, Cooney, Pulling (Casselman 80), Donaghey, Brotherton, Adelakun (Touray 65), MacVicar. Unused sub: Daniel

Attendance: 168

Aerotron Man of the Match: Drew Cooney