Crawley 1 Morecambe 1: Late goal denies Reds

Matt Harrold celebrates scoring for Crawley Town during their 1-1 draw with Morecambe. Picture by Jack Beard SUS-160503-194457002
Matt Harrold celebrates scoring for Crawley Town during their 1-1 draw with Morecambe. Picture by Jack Beard SUS-160503-194457002

Crawley Town were denied a second successive win when a late goal held them to a 1-1 draw.

Matt Harrold gave Reds a 53rd minute lead from short-range but Morecambe’s Shaun Miller levelled with seven minutes to go.

Mark Yates named an unchanged team from that which beat Newport 2-0 on Tuesday with Lanre Oyebanjo making his second start and Simon Walton on the bench, back from his three-match ban.

Morecambe made two changes with former Reds Shaun Miller making hbis return up front following suspension and winger Luke Conlan replacing the benched Tom Barkuhuizen.

A quiet first half did not see a great deal between two evenly-matched sides.

Lyle Della-Verde supplied a corner vto Matt Harrold for a chance in front of goal by the Reds’ striker header went straight to keeper Barry Roche.

Gwion Edwards had a shot blocked from Della-Verde’s cross before Oyebanjo’s follow-up cross was cleared for a corner.

Morecambe responded at the other end with a volley by Miller flying narrowly wide from 25 yards.

Ryan Edwards hit the post with a header for the visitors but the referee had already blown for a foul.

Della-Verde found Andy Bond from a corner played short and he struck from a narrow angle, forcing a low save from Roche.

As the first half struggled to get going as a spectacle, Oyebanjo launched a low shot from 30 yards which the keeper held.

Just before the break, Morecambe forced Paul Jones into making a good save to deny Luke Conlan having been put through by Aaron Wildig.

The game finally came to life nine minutes into the second half when Della-Verde’s cross was not cleared and Marrold put away from 12 yards.

Della Verde kept the pressure on a Reds searched for a second goal with a dangerous 25-yard low strike which was comfortably held by Roche.

Miller equalised for the Shrimpers in the 83rd minute with a low left-footed finish which was headed on to him from a corner.

REDS (5-4-2): Jones, Oyebanjo, Bradley, Edwards, Fenelon, Ashton, Harrold, Bond, Sutherland, Della-Verde (Deacon 86), Dunne

UNUSED SUBS: Walton, Barnard, Preston, Young, Bawling, Deacon, Yorwerth

MORECAMBE (3-4-1-2): Roche, Beeley, Kenyon, Edwards, Devitt (Mullin 78), Ellison, Goodall, Wildig (Barkuhuizen 67), Miller, Doyle, Conlan

UNUSED SUBS: McGowan, Molyneux, Wilson, Parrish, O’Hara

REFEREE: Iaian Williamson

ATTENDANCE: 1,697 (61 away)

MAN OF THE MATCH: Matt Harrold

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!