Crawley 2 Newport 0: Reds bounce back with win

Crawley Town V Mansfield 30/1/16 (Photo by Jon Rigby) SUS-160130-184526008
Crawley Town V Mansfield 30/1/16 (Photo by Jon Rigby) SUS-160130-184526008

Crawley Town bounced back from defeat with a dominant display to clinch a 2-0 home win against Newport.

A first half own goal was coupled with a well-worked headed goal by Shamir Fenelon, his second for the club, eight minutes into the second half.

They took the lead in the first half through an own goal direct from a Reds corner kick.

Reds made six changes to the side which played so dismally in their 2-0 defeat at Leyton Orient on Saturday.

New signings Charles Dunne and Frankie Sutherland made their debuts while Lanre Oyabnajo made his first start of the season having been sidelines by injury since April.

Shamir Fenelon and Matt Harrold both came in along with Lyle Della-Verde for his first start.

Out went Lee Barnard, Bobson Bawling, Roarie deacon, Gavin Tomlin, Josh Yorwerth and Chris Atkinson, who wasn’t even in the squad.

Gwion Edwards looked threatening on the right wing and made a few exciting runs before cutting inside and letting rip a shot which forced a low save from keeper Joe Day.

Crawley continued to press and following a free-kick, Della-Verde’s set-piece was flicked on to Sonny Bradley whose shot was held.

Reds enjoyed some luck to take the lead in the 36th minute from a corner taken by Della-Verde which was headed into his own net by Newport striker Scott Boden.

Newport rarely threatened against the home side who dominated possession in the first half, their only chance before the break coming from a cross from Yan Klukowski which was headed wide by topscorer Boden.

Crawley were fastest out of the blocks at the start of the second half and within two minutes Edwards had shot low again and was denied again by day.

Fenelon showed a great turn of pace to run around defender Andy Hughes before his cross was cleared.

From the following corner taken by Della-Verde, Bradley’s flick-on was then headed home by Fenelon to increase their lead in the 53rd minute.

Della-Verde put the pacey Fenelon through for a sprint towards the area but he was sandwiched between two defenders just outside the area and nothing was given.

Newport were reduced to ten men for the last five minutes when Medi Elito was sent-off for his seocnd bookable offence.

REDS: Jones, Oyebanjo (Bawling 85), Bradley, Edwards (Young 83), Fenelon (Deacon 90), Ashton, Harrold, Bond, Sutherland, Della-Verde, Dunne

Unused subs: Barnard, Preston, Tomlin, Yorwerth

NEWPORT: Day, Holmes, Jones, Davies (Donacien 58), Elito, Klukowski (Gosling 73), Wilkinson, Hughes, Christophe-Ayina (Morgan 58), Boden, Byrne

Unused subs: Barrow, Green, Morgan, Owen-Evans, Meechan

REFEREE: Tim Robinson

ATTENDANCE: 2,003 (105 away)

MAN OF THE MATCH: Gwion Edwards

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!