Crawley Town’s sale to a consortium of Turkish owners is expected to go through this Friday.
Chief executive Michael Dunford said on Monday there is also now an alternative bid on offer from a group of English buyers - if the other bid falls through.
The Turkish buyers – who have experience in European football – have filed an application to the Football League with regard to the owners and directors test, but no money has changed hands so far.
Speaking on the club’s website, Dunford said: “The solicitors for the buyers say that February 12 is a realistic date to complete the transaction.
“They haven’t received full confirmation from the Football League about the owners’ tests and funding.
“We’ve had another tentative enquiry from an English consortium, who realise the other party’s offer is a little bit further advanced than they are and if the Turkish bid isn’t completed, they are standing in the wings ready to take over.
“The deal’s been agreed in principle, but the devil’s in the detail with solicitors. Hopefully the legals can be sorted out quickly. What’s needed is for the transaction to be completed and for the club to have some stability again.”
The club has confirmed that board changes would be expected if the takeover is completed.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1 Make this website your homepage
2 Like our Facebook page at facebook.com/pages/Sport-Sussex
3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex
4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!