Extra-time goal knocks Crawley Down Gatwick out of Sussex Senior Cup

Paul Cooper and Steve Barrow
Paul Cooper and Steve Barrow

Crawley Down Gatwick bowed out of the Sussex Senior Cup in the third round thanks to a 93rd minute goal by Chichester’s Michael Frangou.

Playing in atrocious wet and windy conditions, the Anvils took the lead after 68 minutes through a goal by Geo Wallis.

Chichester fought back when Graham Bush equalised seven minutes before the end of normal time, forcing extra-time to be played.

The Anvils were still being pushed back at times but still continued to attack whenever, typified by a Geo Wallis free-kick that went narrowly wide.

Grant Rigler set-up Stuart Cameron free on the right who in turn found Sam Cane but the latter was just beaten to the ball by the onrushing Ender.

Conditions worsened in the second half and by the hour mark the Anvils were having more of the play with both Wright and Wallis having chances and Rigler slipping his man to run through but rather slicing his shot wide, Wallis gave Down the lead by blast the ball home from 25 yards giving Ender no chance.

The Anvils continued to take up the running, with Rigler setting Alcock free who in turn watched as his shot drifted away in the swirling wind, come 80 minutes and a Alcock corner found Steve Major but his header also drifted wide as the game reached its potential positive ending for the homesters.

But Lady Luck decided to change sides and come 83 she gave the visitors a helping hand, when from a rare break the dangerous Frangou managed to evade tiring Anvil limbs to claim the equaliser with just 7 minutess remaining on the clock and extra time now beckoning.

Into extra-time and all to play for Anvils Mark Barnard having an excellent game playing as a stop-gap full back, then had a rare foray upfield to test keeper Ender into action, but for all their hard work the Anvils were finally breached on 93 minutes with Frangou slipping the net to evade both centre backs Cooney and James Day to poke home the winning goal which frustratingly put Chichester through.

Crawley Down Gatwick: Jackson, Barnard, Wright, Wallis, Cooney, Day, Cameron (Goodwin), Rigler (Steers), Major, Cane, Alcock.

Man of the Match: Mark Barnard