Little Common 3 Oakwood 1: Oaks knocked out of Sussex Senior Cup

Little Common v Oakwood football action - Darren Tidey (blue kit), Byron Nichol (maroon kit) SUS-151111-102329002
Little Common v Oakwood football action - Darren Tidey (blue kit), Byron Nichol (maroon kit) SUS-151111-102329002

Oakwood went out of the Parafix Sussex Senior Cup in the second round away to fellow Southern Combination Legaue Division One side Little Common.

Goals from Byron Nichol and Russell Eldridge put Common two-up at half-time, and Jared Lusted extended their advantage before Oakwood grabbed

what proved to be a consolation.

It was the third meeting between the clubs in the space of four weeks and the previous two had produced a massive 15 goals, so spectators would no doubt have arrived expecting a lively affair.

Common were without several players on a mild night at the Recreation Ground, but those who came in certainly didn’t look out of place and the team produced a decent performance featuring some good football at times.

The opening goal came in just the seventh minute via a couple of less familiar names in the Common starting line-up.

After Jared Lusted’s shot was saved, the resulting Rosh Wells corner was bundled home at the far post by Byron Nichol.

Common doubled their advantage in the 28th minute.

Lewis Hole, operating as a lone striker in the absence of Jamie Crone, latched on to a good ball from Eldridge and his goalbound shot was blocked by the

arm of Gerald Manville, according to the referee, who pointed to the spot.

Eldridge duly picked out the top corner with an emphatic penalty.

The home side had an opportunity to effectively put the tie to bed after barely half-an-hour, but Lusted blazed over having dispossessed

the last defender.

Lusted then saw another effort from the tightest of angles at the end of a solo run beaten out by goalkeeper Jess Grimstone, while at the

other end, Jaiden De-Meyer fired over from an inviting position in Oakwood’s only attempt of note during the first half.

In any game where the score is 2-0 at half-time, the next goal is often key to the final outcome.

Common got it on this occasion, Lusted scoring less than three minutes after the restart with a crisp low drive from around 20 yards.

Common’s hopes of a clean sheet were dashed when Oakwood pulled one back in the 63rd minute. Manville

came up from the back to head home a right wing corner.

Common twice came close to adding to their tally during the remaining half-an-hour. Billy Trickett couldn’t direct a close-range effort on

target after Martin Denny helped on an Eldridge free kick and Dan Estherby’s angled drive was kept out by the feet of Grimstone.

Oakwood had an appeal for an added time penalty turned down when Manville felt his shot was blocked by a Common arm, but Common would

have been pleased at how few chances they restricted their opponents to on a satisfying night for their fans.

Oakwood: Grimstone, Wanstall, Cawte, Manville, Maxwell, Miller, Piller, Nourse, McNab, De-Meyer, Tidey. Subs: Gilbert, Bevan, Stone,

Matbury, Faber.