HOCKEY: Decisions go against Crawley in physical battle

Crawley were beaten by a very physical Burnt Ash.

Wednesday, 27th January 2016, 12:32 pm
Updated Friday, 8th June 2018, 6:47 am
Crawley Hockey Club. Pic Steve Robards SR1523699 SUS-151210-172449001

They knew they would need to perform better at the start than they did the week before against what would be a tough match against a difficult team.

Captain Alex Watson said: ”It was a difficult game today we knew they would be physical and try and bully us as they attempted to in the first game at ours where they got six yellow cards.

“It was too late by the time we got back into the game but we created plenty of chances but couldn’t take them at crucial times.

“We felt we had a couple of big decisions go against us but we have to learn that this happens and we mustn’t let it effect us.

He added: “There were positives to take away from the game but we need to bring it all together, start well and then push on and put these games away when we have the chance.”

Crawley started off very brightly and took an early lead as the ball was played out to Brendan Maccaoilte on the Crawley right and he ran round the outside of two defenders pulled the ball back to Kieran Fuller who tapped in at the back post. 1-0 Crawley.

Crawley had a couple of good chances to extend their lead but couldn’t find the final touch.

Burnt Ash got back into it through a short corner which beat Westwood past his right hand 1-1.

Alex Watson fouled a Burnt Ash player a free-hit was given outside the area and with Watson prone on the ground the home player decided to leave something on him.

However the umpires didn’t manage to get a view on it though but this could have changed the game.

They then went on to score two more before half-time to make it 3-1 Burnt Ash.

Burnt Ash went 4-1 up after a defensive switch off allowed a player to walk along the base line and pull the ball back for a forward to tap-in.

Crawley had chances to get back into the game but Seb Watson struck wide and another effort hit the side-netting.

Crawley pulled one back late on through a Fuller drag flick but with four minutes left it was too little, too late.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!