HOCKEY: Canterbury III 1 Crawley 5

No Caption ABCDE ENGSUS00220121126154429
No Caption ABCDE ENGSUS00220121126154429

Crawley went into the weekend looking to keep the pace going at the top of the league and they knew it would be tough against a Canterbury team which beat them towards the back end of last season.

Crawley started well passing the ball around short around the back and through the midfield. The chances started to come as Crawley broke into the Canterbury circle from all sides.

It wasn’t long before a goal came for the visitors with the home side playing a high line it allowed an aerial ball from the back from Brightwell into an empty half a pitch for Seb Watson to run on to one touch to take it into the circle and one touch to fire the ball through the keeper’s legs 1-0 Crawley.

This was only the start of the bombardment on the home team’s goal though as Fuller, Banton and Seb Watson all had chances to extend the lead the ball was in the net again only to be wiped off for obstruction.

The second soon followed though a sweeping team move which found Innes on the back post to donk the ball past the keeper to make it 2-0.

The visitors were in firm control and the high line didn’t seem to be working for Canterbury and they were vulnerable on the counter attack to a fast paced Crawley side. After some more chances for the visitors the half finished at 2-0.

The half-time discussion turned to keeping solid and uncomplicated at the back and trying to find the first ball that was available and try to get in support of the player on the ball.

The second half would be tougher as the home crowd tried to influence the officials.

The second half started much the same as the first with Crawley breaking from deep at pace and the defence keeping resolute and solid.

The lead was extended as the captain Alex Watson got on the score sheet with a shot from a short corner which went through the keeper and made it 3-0.

Crawley felt it should have been extended further as Wright broke into the circle and was fouled by a combination of defender and keeper but the umpired ruled play on this resulted in an under cut ball played by the Canterbury centre half which found a man free at the edge of the Crawley circle he turned and score to reduce the arrears to 3-1.

This spurred on Crawley though and after a nervous couple of minutes they managed to bundle the ball in again as Fuller got loose on the right and his miss-hit cross found Seb Watson who walked the ball into the net.

The was time for Banton to pick up an injury as he helped the Canterbury players defend their goal by blocking Seb Watson’s shot and other chances where the ball was fired across the goal but could not be turned in.

However as the time wore down up stepped Fuller from a short corner to put the icing on the cake and make it 5-1.

Crawley: Jamie Westwood, Baz Ahmedi, Joseph Raddoux, Mark Brightwell, Rob Gate, Brendan Maccaoilte, Alex Watson (C), Carl Wright, Steve Innes, Kieran Fuller, Seb Watson.

Subs: Reece Banton

Complete Tyre Services Man Of The Match: Seb Watson