HOCKEY: Crawley reach quarter final of Vase

Crawley Hockey Club's Dan Evans pictured with Brendan Maccaoilte SUS-141020-194235002
Crawley Hockey Club's Dan Evans pictured with Brendan Maccaoilte SUS-141020-194235002

Crawley 8 Yeovil & Sherborne 2

Crawley faced a third round Vase game against a Yeovil side which had a long journey up to the game.

The home side hoped to use this to their advantage as they looked to get to another Vase quarter final.

The visitors started off much the better catching Crawley cold and possibly feeling a bit leggy after the game on the Saturday and they went ahead as a Yeovil player managed to find a small gap between Westwood’s feet to make it 1-0 Yeovil.

Kieran Fuller found himself on the left of the goal squared the ball to Rob Gate but he was outmuscled and the umpire awarded a penalty stroke to Crawley Fuller stepped up and fired past the keeper to make it 1-1.

This was soon added upon in the 19th minute as Steve Innes deflected a ball past the helpless keeper to make it 2-1 Crawley.

This seemed to spur on the home side as they grew in confidence; Innes was also the next man on the score sheet as he deflected a Fuller flick past the keeper and into the corner of the net to make it 3-1.

That lead was shortlived however as Yeovil went route one and found the Crawley defence sleeping /out numbered and they added their second of the game.

Crawley added one more on 34 minutes as Fuller stepped up on a short corner and fired it past the keeper for a 4-2 lead at half-time.

The second half started much the same as the first half finished with Crawley attacking and the visitors were all ready starting to find it difficult as they had no subs and no coach to help them out.

The goals started to flow as a result with Maccaoilte and Reece Banton scoring almost identical goals.

They both broke in from the right firing it early at the keeper both times going through his legs for Crawley goals that made it 6-2 Crawley.

Steve Innes added his third of the game and Crawley’s seventh, the scoring was rounded off as Gate got in on the action to make it 8-2.

This ended the scoring but with 20 minutes left it the game it started to feel like Crawley could win by what ever they wanted but as players surged forward trying to get on the scoresheet maybe some of the simple things were lost but Crawley advance to the quarter-finals for the second time in two seasons.

Captain Alex Watson said: “It was a strange start to the game I’m not sure why that was but we looked like the side that had done the travelling and not them.

“But once we got back into the game we started knocking the ball around and they just keep pace with the game we were playing.

“We should have probably scored four or five more easily and that’s with out being rude to them we just outclassed them today.

“I’d like to thank all the people who came down to watch was nice see a crowd down there and people showing an interest in what we are trying to achieve. “

Crawley will be at home against Ludlow in the quarter-final on March 1.

Crawley: Jamie Westwood, Baz Ahmedi, Adrian Bettesworth, Mark Brightwell, Carl Wright, Rob Gate, Alex Watson (C), Reece Banton, Steve Innes, Kieran Fuller, Brendan Maccaoilte.

Subs: Seb Watson, Josh Haworth

Complete Tyre Services Man of the Match: Steve Innes