Three arrests as police increase patrols in drug crackdown

editorial image
0
Have your say

Three people were arrested after police carried out a series of extra patrols as part of the force’s crackdown on drugs in Crawley.

As part of Operation Enforce a number of high visibility patrols were carried out between Monday (July 18) and Friday (July 22), officers said.

As well as uniformed police officers, plain clothed officers and PCSOs, representatives from Crawley Borough Council ASB teams, community wardens and staff from the Crawley Open House took part with the aim of engaging with the community and gathering intelligence.

A spokesman for Sussex Police said: “As a result of this extra activity, three arrests were made and a small quantity of class A drugs recovered.

“At around 11.05am on Tuesday, July 19, a 27-year-old local man was arrested on suspicion of stealing a bicycle but was later released without charge.

“A 31-year-old local man was arrested on suspicion of breaching an injunction for drinking in a public place at around 1.10pm on Tuesday, July 19. He was remanded in custody to appear before Horsham magistrates on Wednesday July 20 and was given a warning by the judge.

“At around 7pm on Friday, July 22, a 41-year-old man of no fixed address was arrested on suspicion of assault. He has been released on bail until 5 August.”

Sergeant Jock McGorry who ran the operation said: “This week of activity has seen some very positive results and demonstrated excellent cooperation with our partners at the borough council and Crawley Open House.

“The increased patrols not only acted as a deterrent to drug users but, by liaising with the local community, also helped us gather useful information about drug use and supply as well as other issues that form part of the local Policing priorities. A number of individuals were referred to partner agencies to seek appropriate support and assistance.”

Michael Jones, cabinet member for public protection, said: “We are committed to ensuring the town centre is crime-free and the ongoing actions under Operation Enforcer, including this latest crackdown, help to make the streets of Crawley safer.

“I’d like to thank Sussex Police for their continued work to disrupt the supply of drugs in the town, along with the council’s own Nuisance and Anti-Social Behaviour Team and community wardens for their efforts supporting last week’s successful operation.”

Chief Inspector Dave Padwick said: “I am really pleased with the results of Operation Enforcer so far.

“We will continue to carry out these increased patrols as part of this ongoing crackdown on drugs and anti-social behaviour in the town. I want to assure local residents that illegal drug use and distribution will not be tolerated in Crawley.”

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.crawleyobserver.co.uk

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/crawleyobserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @Crawley_Obby

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Crawley Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.